- The Vruddagirieeswarar temple really looks too ancient.
- The temple tower Gopuram side walls contain beautifully sculptured dancing women.
- The roof of the front mandapa as soon as you enter the temple, has beautiful mural paintings,belived to be done some 100 good years ago.
- The Nandi Mandapa is supposed to be made in the memory of Sembian Maadevi
- Mythology has strong stores and reference to Sundara Moorthy Nayanar as well as Appar.
- The Lord having named as old man, living in the oldest Mountain, was shunned by Sundarar as he refused to sing an old man. The amman appeared to him as Bala Ambikai, and made him sing at this temple!
- The Kandaradittan Thiruvoil has his name inscribed at the entrance.
- The Bairava at the Kandaraddittan Thiruvoil looks menacing and a typical Chola sculpture.
- The inscriptions of various regime are rich, but are seldom maintained cleanly. See photos as a proof.
- The word `manikkam' refers to devadasis in the area, which appears in many inscriptions and this shows their influence and importance in temple worship as well as donations.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
REACH has members who are vigilant of any damage happening on heritage and member Jayakumar, a teaching faculty of Kalakshetra was fast enough to inform us the heavy quarrying happening in and around Pudukkottai.
Dinamalar the Tamil vernacular was the fastest to respond to our call and published the article the next day. See here.
Times of India carried an article the next day . Thanks to our member Jayakumar who brought this to our notice; with his help we could appeal to the state minister for Archaeology, Shri. Thangam Thennarasu, in person (our PRO Chandra waited outside his office for almost 2 hours to deliver the letter in person) and gave news to these dailies.
Ironically, in the same page of Times of India, just below the Pudukkottai quarrying article, there is another article which says ASI is documenting all rock-cut caves. Thanks but the irony is the most bombed rocks are from Pudukottai and Madurai regions, which claims most number of caves to exist as documented by ASI!!